The Bachelor becomes a teaching point for avid watchers

Samantha Pelles, Editor-in-Chief

ABC Entertainment’s “The Bachelor” finale aired March 15, wrapping up a season full of drama and important conversations, both on and off-screen.

Bachelor Matt James, the first Black bachelor in the franchise’s history, brought in a record-breaking 38 contestants, all quarantining to win his heart in Nemacolin Resort, PA. This season and the previous Bachelorette season, both filmed during the COVID-19 pandemic, have shown audiences a different side of the Bachelor franchise.

“The show is different [this season] due to them not being able to travel, and they also bring in less people. They used to do live concerts and stuff but not anymore. Honestly, with everything going on, though, they have done a great job,” junior Anna Johnson said.

Everyone being stuck in the house led to an increase in drama and fights between contestants. Many fans complained throughout the season at the conflicts that seemed to come up every episode and took away from Matt’s screen time with his relationships. However, these squabbles also happen to provide quality entertainment for viewers in a season that was not short of drama queens.

“Victoria was definitely [the] most entertaining because of the amount of drama she brought into the house,” Johnson said. 

“Queen” Victoria Larson was the spearhead of many confrontations on the show, from leading the attack against Sarah Trott who had interrupted a group date to assisting Anna Redman in spreading rumors that Brittany Galvin was a professional escort. 

“The drama was entertaining to watch but ruining someone’s reputation can take it too far,” sophomore Peyton Kifer said.

Along with drama during the filming of the show, there were also scandals that came to light after the airing of the first episode. Contestant Rachael Kirkconnell was called out by fans of the show for liking friends’ posts on social media that showed cultural appropriation of Native headdresses and posing in front of a Confederate flag. She was also called out for attending an Old South Antebellum-themed party when she was in college. She has since apologized, both through social media and at the “After The Final Rose” special.

“I think Rachael handled the situation well and owned up to her racism and didn’t try to hide it,” senior Karen Saa said.

Host Chris Harrison took to an interview with former Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay in an attempt to defend Kirkconnell, but his comments, such as, “Who is whatever ‘woke police’ person out there? Who are you [to tell her to speak out]?” came across as ignorant and tone-deaf. In response to the antebellum-themed party that Kirkconnell attended, Harrison said, “Is it [not] a good look in 2018 or is it not a good look in 2021? I’m not defending Rachael; I just know that 50 million people did that in 2018.” Harrison has since apologized and announced a temporary leave from the Bachelor franchise.

“It was important that he stepped away from the show because he needed to take time to think about what he said. I do think he will be back because this show is not what it is without him,” Kifer said.

The two upcoming seasons of “The Bachelorette” will instead be hosted by Bachelorette alumni Kaitlyn Bristowe and Tayshia Adams. ABC made an official statement, saying, “As we continue the dialogue around achieving greater equity and inclusion within ‘The Bachelor’ franchise, we are dedicated to improving the BIPOC representation of our crew, including among the executive producer ranks.”

“It is important to have other different races and ethnicities because it’s good to show diversity to the viewers. The [push for] diversity in the Bachelor and Bachelorette should continue,” Saa said.

With only three total non-white Bachelors and Bachelorettes in the history of the show, producers still have plenty to accomplish before real change in inclusivity and diversity is made. However, because of those brave enough to speak out on these issues, fans can look forward to a reformed and more progressive show in the future.