A race to remember: who will be the next student body VP?

Compiled by McAulay Leake

Student body vice presidential elections are coming up Friday, April 16. This is the only STUCO position currently hanging in the balance, so be sure to show support for your favorite choice.

McAulay Leake, Staff Reporter

Big decisions are coming up for SV this week! Student body vice presidential election for the 2021-2022 school year will be taking place Friday, April 16. 

The  two candidates running for Student Body Vice President are rising seniors Joseph Cramer and Scarlett Goodson.

Both candidates have many goals and plans for the upcoming year. 

“My main goal is to recruit more people into STUCO, which will hopefully lead to more school spirit,” Goodson said. 

Goodson has been in student council since freshman year and ran for vice president her sophomore year. After losing the election, she picked her head up and became the Stuco Fundraising Coordinator. After the experience with fundraising, she determined it was time to go through the process of running for office again.

“I think it will be a good competition. I’m more excited than nervous since I’ve been wanting to run for so long,” Goodson said.

Cramer has served as class co-president alongside Lily Harvey, winning freshman year against Cali Caputo and sophomore year against Goodson.

“I have planned quite a few events for the sophomore class alongside my event coordinator Kenneth Pratt,” Cramer said.

Although competing for the same position, the two candidates agree on one thing; Lily Harvey is best fit for president.

“Lily Harvey definitely deserves it more than me; she’s done more in STUCO,” Cramer said.

Scantron voting versus online voting has been a topic among national and school elections. Due to Coronavirus, SV voting will take place online.

“If the elections were brought back to scantrons, it would be a whole lot better [because] students are forced to vote and it better represents the student body as a whole rather than just select friend groups who convince their friends to vote,” Cramer said.

Students are not particularly divided over the election.  Many see positive qualities in both candidates.

“I believe that they both [Cramer and Goodson] bring great ideas to the table. It’s just whether they put their plans to action whoever wins the election,” sophomore Alejandra Trujillo said. 

Make sure to do research and watch Goodson’s and Cramer’s campaign videos.  Links to the videos will be sent through student email accounts Friday along with the form to make your final vote on the future of SV.