Music department adjusts to changes

Caitlin Mayhew, Editor-in-Chief

Life at SV has been shaken up over the past year.  For those in the music department, the changes are just as drastic. 

One of the most notable changes has been  new choir director Aj Calpo. While new to SV, this is not Calpo’s first rodeo, and he’s already working towards building a strong chorus program in the Valley. 

“At this point in developing a program, the first year is more recruiting. After that, once I have enough people to justify a third choir – that will be [built through an audition process] and [use] higher-level music,” Calpo said. “Right now, ladies chorus and men’s chorus [are] just by gender, [whereas] concert is 11th and 12th [graders] and mixed chorus is ninth and 10th [graders].”

In the fall, Calpo offered beginner chorus classes and a beginner piano course. In the spring, he has offered more advanced classes to expand the students’ horizons. 

In addition to the courses, Calpo worked on the spring musical alongside band director Jeff Reynolds and theater teacher Caleb Dalby. Outside of SV, he is the technology chair for the high school division of the North Carolina Music Educators Association.

“I built a website for other North Carolina music teachers, specific[ally] chorus teachers, to find information [and] understand what’s offered to us and update the previous website,” Calpo said. “I also work with the Board in doing a lot of technology-based things.”

Typically, both chorus and band students have the opportunity to show off their skills and compete against other schools. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 restrictions that was not the case this past year. Going forward, Reynolds and Calpo both plan on bringing back the competition ensembles. 

“We try to incorporate ourselves into some smaller ensembles, like we usually have a jazz band that is done after school. When we do things like the school musical, we try to [involve] students in [the pit], so that’s a whole other environment to perform in,” Reynolds said.

Band and chorus can both be difficult things to jump right into, which is why Reynolds and SVMS band director Laurynn DeLuca work together to help students learn to play their instruments as a group. Of course, band and chorus are not exclusive to those who have played since middle school. Reynolds welcomes students with musical experience to talk to him about joining the band courses. 

Reynolds and Calpo agree that music education is highly important and a good way for students to express themselves. 

“Music, specifically chorus, has given me so much in my life. It made me who I am and very confident in who I am. Most of that is through the music and being able to be in a very loving environment,” Calpo said. “So, what I wanted to do, as a teacher, was try to give back. I wanted to give back to those who were like me, who needed a place to be. I want [students] to learn how to work with others, how to be themselves, how to be okay [with] fail[ing]. Chorus is just a great place to do those things and then have support from other people who are with you.”