Teacher Pay and Shortages

Teacher Pay and Shortages

Neena Ellis, Reporter

Since the pandemic, teaching has been one of the most vacated jobs in the country. In NC alone, 5,540+ teaching positions are unfilled. Now politicians are starting to question if the pay is a factor.
High stress and low pay are issues seen across the board, according to CNN.
NC teachers make significantly less money than those with a business degree whose starting salary is $52,000. The state is currently ranked 38th in the nation in teacher pay, with an average salary of $53,451 and starting salary of $37,000.
“Education was supposed to be my gateway out of poverty,” the 2021 North Carolina Teacher of the Year Eugenia Floyd said. “But I’m one devastating event away from poverty and that’s a reality not just for me, but that’s a reality for many educators all across the state.”
The state is looking at a plan to increase teachers’ pay by 24.5% and at ways to give teachers more opportunities to make money such as revising a principal’s pay and providing money for college students during their student-teaching internship. Current and former teachers are critical of the potential reorganization.
“I think that teachers don’t get paid enough for what they do,” freshman Abigail Lehneis said. “They work all day, make assignments and then grade and deal with students. I just think it should be more for what they do.”
Teacher shortages are crippling school systems across the country. In North Carolina alone, the number of open teaching positions has grown from 4,400 at the beginning of the school year to over 5,540 spaces across the state. Among those openings, the most significant number were found in elementary school, among core classes such as English or Math and Special Education.
“Special Ed. does not get enough support in their classrooms. They need smaller classrooms if they are going to be contained,” SVMS teacher Amy Ellis said, “or they need more people to help with their job and not just someone with a pulse.”
According to NC Policy Watch, “ In December, the State Board of Education approved a Professional Educator Preparation and Standards Commission proposal to revamp teachers’ licenses and pay structures, with hopes of addressing a teacher shortage program fueled by low pay and tough working conditions. Part one of the proposes to base teachers’ pay on student performances.”
Many educators have voiced their opinions on these issues. “If we really want to make a difference in compensation, increase the base pay to a minimum of $70,000 per year,” Union County Superintendent Dr.Andrew Houlihan said in a tweet responding to the recent bills regarding teachers’ pay.
Not enough teachers in the classroom long term could start to affect the education of the students.
“I think by paying more for the teacher, giving help to people,” Lehines said “and providing support that they need in the classroom, it could end up helping with teacher shortages.”