Remembering Robert Hodges: Not Good – GREAT

Scarlett Goodson

Mr. Hodges leading Beta Club activities and charity drives. Hodges could always be seen helping students and the community.

On the night of February 4th, 2021, history teacher and Beta Club sponsor Robert Hodges passed away. Although he may not be physically here, Hodges left a great mark on this school.

Hodges, who began teaching at SV in  2014, was more than a teacher or an advisor.   “Mr. Hodges was my psychology teacher, and since that class, I knew he was a different type of teacher and better type of person,” freshman Sandra Artolozaga said.

He had a passion for many things, such as offering his services anywhere he could and about teaching his students. 

“He was very passionate about Beta Club, especially when he won the award for it. He was very proud of that and would always tell me how he would want to win that award again. He was also really proud to help us in any way he could,” junior Scarlett Goodson said.

A poster was put up in honor of Mr. Hodges. Students and staff are encouraged to leave a parting message to the beloved history teacher. (Rhema Meggett)

Leadership was a big part of whom Hodges was as evidenced by his 20+ years in the US Army and National Guard. He took great pride in his years of service and found ways to include his experience and what he learned from serving in his teachings.

“The school would do the Veterans Day ceremony each year, and we always recognized and honored him along with other teachers in that ceremony here at the school,” principal Dr. Michael Harvey said. 

Students remember Hodges as a great person to whom to talk. He lightened up individuals’ days with his words, whether they were historical facts, an opinion, or a story from his life. 

“Every Sunday, I would go to Viva Chicken, and I would always find him there and although I never really knew him that well [as I did not have him as a teacher], he would always come up to me and tell me the stories of how he grew up with my mom,” Goodson said. 

A generous man who always had his students and fellow teachers in mind, Hodges found ways to include and support everyone.

“Hodges really liked to bake; he was very fond of it, and every year for Christmas he would give all the teachers a loaf of banana bread to take home,” Harvey said.

Hodges was a teacher, a veteran, a friend, a son, and a brother, as well as an essential part of SV. 

“I would like to thank Mr.Hodges. He put his all into teaching his students and into the school. He made me realize that I need to appreciate people around me more often,” Artolozaga said.

Mr. Hodges made banana bread and other baked goods to give to his classes and fellow teachers often. Anyone who knew Mr. Hodges remembers him for his generosity and charitable spirit. (Rhema Meggett)